Iola Register issues beginning with 1875 and continuing to about 2015 are available online.
If you are a subscriber to the Iola Register, it will be easiest to use this link: http://www,iolaregister.com/archives You will use your Register login, then scroll down to near the bottom of the page and click on “To access the archives just click here”.
If you are not a subscriber, go to the Kansas State Historical Society site at http://www.kshs.org/ancestry/drivers/dlverify. You will need to log in using your Kansas driver’s license. After logging in, click on “Newspapers.com”, then find the Iola Register.
You will need to log in
- Southeast Kansas Library System
- City of Iola
- Allen County
- Allen Community College
- Iola Area Chamber of Commerce
- Humanity House Foundation
- Thrive Allen County
- Kansas JobLink job openings and other employment information from Kansas Workforce Development (formerly Job Service)
- Kansas State Library: this web site contains information on Kansas government, libraries, education, and communities
- Kansas.gov: the State of Kansas’s web site.
- Congress.gov: link to legislative information, including full text of bills and the Congressional Record
- The White House
The library is able to accommodate simple requests, such as asking for a photocopy of an obituary when you have the date of death. Contact the library in any of the ways listed in the left sidebar.
For more involved requests, a researcher formerly with the Southeast Kansas Genealogy Society (now disbanded) will perform research for a fee. You can contact her c/o Iola Public Library, 218 E. Madison Ave., Iola, KS 66749.
To access Heritage Quest Online, a genealogy database available through a statewide subscription by the State Library of Kansas, go to Online Databases and click on Heritage Quest
Iola Register (and its predecessor) issues are available in searchable digital format at Newspapers.com. In order to use it for free, you will need to enter your name, Kansas driver’s license number, and date of birth. The login site can be found at https://www.kshs.org/ancestry/drivers/dlverify
- Cyndi’s List: genealogy sites